Post City, Texas, founded in 1907 by breakfast cereal magnate, Charles William Post, was truly a “dream city”. His vision drew him to one of the most beautiful locations in West Texas the area where the head waters of both arms of the Brazos River join to outline the scenic Caprock escarpment of the Llano Estacado. Here C.W. Post carved a county out of nature’s provisions which provided a home for cattlemen, plentiful oil and bountiful cotton.
C.W. Post founded the town to demonstrate to a world and nation that free men and true principles of American enterprise were an unbeatable combination. With land speculation prohibited and scientific farming encouraged, the town quickly grew and prospered.
Situated on the crossroads of U.S. Highways 84 and 380, Post has heavy highway traffic, along with the main line of the Santa Fe Railroad contributing to transportation access. The country surrounding Post is varied and swift in transition. From bushy, short-grass pasture, little changed since the earliest cowboys rode here, the land becomes an immense farm upon reaching the surface of the plains above Post. The county is approximately 30 miles square and has a total area of 585,600 acres. Elevation ranges from 2,200 to 3,000 feet above sea level.
Land in cultivation is 108,590 acres with 76,133 acres dryland and 7,663 irrigated. Currently, 26,494 acres are enrolled in the CRP program. Native range and pastures account for 441,410 acres. The largest crop grown in Garza County is cotton with approximately 42,000 acres that brings in about $4-5 million annually. Beef cattle production is a mainstay in Garza County with approximately 18,000 head of cattle bringing in between $3.5-$4.0 million annually.